About NIHCM Foundation
The National Institute for Health Care Management (NIHCM) Foundation is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to improving the health of Americans by spurring workable and creative solutions to pressing health care problems.
"Think tanks now are so ideological that they can't really convene a meeting. Where[as] NIHCM sits kind of between that. They're not a lobbyist, they're not an association, they're not a partisan institution, and they're trusted. So this is the right place to actually bring people together to make things happen."
– Bob Kocher, Fmr. Special Asst. to the President on Health Care & Economic Policy
- We build the evidence base by supporting high quality research and journalism.
- We spark insights and collaboration by bringing the best new ideas to large and influential audiences.
- We bring a real world market perspective to issues.
We work with some of the best minds in health care. Our Board of Directors includes the CEOs of health plans covering more than 40 percent of privately insured Americans, and our Advisory Board is a group of highly regarded academics, physicians and former government leaders from both sides of the aisle. We also have an influential network of partners in federal government, public health, advocacy, academia and the private sector, built over two decades.
What We Do
- Grants for Research and Journalism, $2 million over 5 years
- Awards judged by stellar independent panels of experts
- Webinars on market and policy innovations
- Expert Voices essays in which thought leaders distill complex research
- Charts analyzing the latest health care data and its implications
- Issue briefs focused on specific pressing health issues
- Briefings, including bi-partisan events on Capitol Hill and expert meetings
- CEO Seminars to develop insights to improve health care for millions of Americans
The National Institute for Health Care Management (NIHCM) was incorporated in 1993 by a group of forward-thinking health plan CEOs under the leadership of founding President and CEO Nancy Chockley. Early successes, such as the prestige of the awards program and productive partnerships with federal health agencies, encouraged NIHCM’s leadership to deepen its commitment to advancing the health care system as a whole. In 1998 NIHCM reorganized, maintaining an LLC as an exclusive forum for thought leaders in health care, while splitting off a public foundation to focus on improving health care for all Americans.
In addition to supporting the work of NIHCM Foundation, NIHCM LLC is committed to playing a positive role in the community through charitable giving to improve the health and well-being of vulnerable Americans. Our donations place particular emphasis on women, children, mental health and the social determinants of health, which are also historical focus areas for NIHCM Foundation. In 2017, we supported organizations including UNICEF Kid Power, The Trevor Project, Generation Hope, SMYAL, Horton's Kids, Operation Renewed Hope Foundation, Street Sense, Sasha Bruce Youth Network, Community of Hope, Children's Law Center, Homeless Children's Playtime Project, My Sister's Place, The Posse Foundation, Calvary Women's Services, DC Central Kitchen, Borromeo Housing and Aspire Counseling.