News & Events
Webinar Archive Available: Investing in a Healthier America
For decades steady increases in lifestyle-related illnesses have affected our quality of life and our bottom line. With more than half of Americans now facing at least one chronic disease, the status quo is no longer acceptable.
Arming the Consumer: Increased Value Through Technology
Health care is a uniquely challenging consumer experience: it can be complex and expensive but also vital and deeply personal. It’s no wonder that consumers are looking to technology to help simplify their health care choices—and businesses are increasingly meeting them with solutions.
New Expert Voices - Michael Millenson on Patient-Centered Care
Patient-centered care has at its base a very powerful concept: health care decisions should be driven by the preferences, needs and values of the patient. In this essay, Michael Millenson identifies three distinct ways of thinking about patient-centered care—ethically, economically and clinically.
Webinar Archive Available - Medicaid Expansion Under the ACA
State decisions on whether or not to extend Medicaid eligibility to low-income, childless adults as envisioned under the ACA have split right down the middle, with 25 states expanding eligibility this year and 25 opting not to at this time. A handful of states are exploring alternative approaches.
Webinar on Community Based Health Promotion
The current generation of children may be the first in U.S. history to live shorter, sicker lives than their parents. Already, more than half of Americans have at least one chronic disease. The majority of these conditions are preventable, but the scale of the problem necessitates interventions beyond the walls of the doctor’s office.
Webinar on Consumer Engagement
Technology has revolutionized consumerism, allowing us to make on-the-go purchasing decisions with user-friendly apps and easy access to product data. We're also increasingly sophisticated about monitoring our health, turning mobile devices into wellness tools with calorie trackers and fitness monitors.
Expert Voices: Medicaid Expansion: What's at Stake for 2014 and Beyond?
Joan Henneberry, MS, Principal, Health Management AssociatesKathy D. Gifford, JD, Managing Principal, Health Management Associates
Download the PDF | Request hard copies | Subscribe to Expert Voices
The Arkansas legislature’s approval of a private alternative to the ACA Medicaid expansion responds to the concern many states have about growing a public program. Nearly half of state governors are currently leaning against or are undecided on the Medicaid expansion. If these states follow their governors’ pronouncements, an estimated 6.4 million low-income, uninsured adults are at risk of remaining without insurance. Hospitals, employers and the privately insured also stand to lose in states that opt out. In this essay, two former state Medicaid directors examine the Medicaid expansion from different stakeholder perspectives and offer evidence of the sustained financial benefits that can accrue to states accepting federal funding to expand Medicaid eligibility. Read more...
Other recent Expert Voices essays include:
- William H. Dietz, MD, PhD, Former Director, Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "An Insider's View of National Strategies to Control the Obesity Epidemic" (March 2013)
- Alice F. Rosenblatt, FSA, MAAA, CERA, AFR Consulting, LLC, "The Challenges of Pricing Health Insurance for the 2014 Exchanges" (October 2012)
- Steven M. Lieberman, Engelberg Center for Health Reform, Brookings Institution and Lieberman Consulting, "ACOs at Mid-Launch: Moving Forward but Challenges Ahead" (May 2012)
- Diane E. Meier, Center to Advance Palliative Care and Mount Sinai School of Medicine, "Improving Health Care Through Increased Access to Palliative Care" (April 2012)
- Anna D. Sinaiko, Harvard School of Public Health, "Tiered Provider Networks as a Strategy to Improve Health Care Quality and Efficiency" (February 2012)
Sign up to receive the Expert Voices series by completing our online subscription form.