News & Events
Health Policy Briefing Now Archived
Video and slides are now available from NIHCM’s September 3rd policy briefing on Capitol Hill, “The Future of Health Care in America: The ACA and Beyond
.” This briefing brought together health care leaders with diverse perspectives to discuss the latest developments in ACA implementation, the dramatic market-driven transformations currently underway, and other policies and issues to watch going forward.
Upcoming Forum on Hospitals, Health Systems and Population Health
NIHCM Foundation is pleased to co-sponsor the National Forum on Hospitals, Health Systems and Population Health: Partnerships to Build a Culture of Health
in collaboration with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
Health Care Leaders Weigh in on ACA Implementation and the Future of Health Care in America
Washington, DC – September 3, 2014 - The National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation (NIHCM) today is hosting a panel of top health care leaders with diverse business and policy expertise to share their unique perspectives on the current state of Affordable Care Act (ACA) implementation and offer alternative ideas for the future of the health care in America.
Webinar on Palliative Care
An increasing number of Americans are living with serious and chronic illness—20% of Medicare beneficiaries now have five or more chronic conditions and two-thirds of Medicare spending goes to cover their care.
Webinar on Bundled Payments for Oncology
Annual spending for cancer treatment in the U.S. is set to reach $184 billion by 2020. The large and growing bill has raised concerns that fee-for-service payments for oncology are promoting over-treatment and use of more expensive drugs irrespective of patient benefit.
The Future of Health Care in America - The ACA and Beyond
This health policy briefing on Capitol Hill will bring together top health care leaders with diverse business and policy expertise to share their unique perspectives as key players in the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, market leaders driving change, and policy experts with alternative ideas for the future of health care.
Expert Voices: Medicaid Expansion: What's at Stake for 2014 and Beyond?
Joan Henneberry, MS, Principal, Health Management AssociatesKathy D. Gifford, JD, Managing Principal, Health Management Associates
Download the PDF | Request hard copies | Subscribe to Expert Voices
The Arkansas legislature’s approval of a private alternative to the ACA Medicaid expansion responds to the concern many states have about growing a public program. Nearly half of state governors are currently leaning against or are undecided on the Medicaid expansion. If these states follow their governors’ pronouncements, an estimated 6.4 million low-income, uninsured adults are at risk of remaining without insurance. Hospitals, employers and the privately insured also stand to lose in states that opt out. In this essay, two former state Medicaid directors examine the Medicaid expansion from different stakeholder perspectives and offer evidence of the sustained financial benefits that can accrue to states accepting federal funding to expand Medicaid eligibility. Read more...
Other recent Expert Voices essays include:
- William H. Dietz, MD, PhD, Former Director, Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "An Insider's View of National Strategies to Control the Obesity Epidemic" (March 2013)
- Alice F. Rosenblatt, FSA, MAAA, CERA, AFR Consulting, LLC, "The Challenges of Pricing Health Insurance for the 2014 Exchanges" (October 2012)
- Steven M. Lieberman, Engelberg Center for Health Reform, Brookings Institution and Lieberman Consulting, "ACOs at Mid-Launch: Moving Forward but Challenges Ahead" (May 2012)
- Diane E. Meier, Center to Advance Palliative Care and Mount Sinai School of Medicine, "Improving Health Care Through Increased Access to Palliative Care" (April 2012)
- Anna D. Sinaiko, Harvard School of Public Health, "Tiered Provider Networks as a Strategy to Improve Health Care Quality and Efficiency" (February 2012)
Sign up to receive the Expert Voices series by completing our online subscription form.