Sixth Annual NIHCM Foundation Health Care Television and Radio Journalism Award
The winner is:
Jeff Fager (Executive Producer); Bill Owens (Executive Editor); Sam Hornblower, Michael Rey, Oriana Zill de Granados (Producers); Robert Zimet (Editor); Steve Kroft (Correspondent); “Cost of Admission,” 60 Minutes, CBS
Congratulations to the finalists:
- Adam Bolt, Andrew Blackwell (Producers and Editors); Dan Rather (Correspondent); Wayne Nelson (Executive Producer); Elliot Kirschner (Senior Producer); Steve Tyler (Supervising Editor); “It’s a Southern Thing,” Dan Rather Reports, AXS TV
- Jon Frankel (Producer, Director, Camera), “American Man,” ESPN Classic
- Sanjay Gupta (Correspondent), “Big Hits, Broken Dreams,” CNN Presents, CNN
- Jeff Fager (Executive Producer), Bill Owens (Executive Editor), Michael Radutzky (Senior Producer), Kyra Darnton (Producer), Sam Hornblower (Associate Producer), Matt Richman (Editor), Scott Pelley (Correspondent), “Deception at Duke,” 60 Minutes, CBS
- Jill Rosenbaum (Producer), David Heath (Senior Reporter), Katie Taber (Co-producer), Carl Byker (Supervising Producer), Miles O’Brien (Correspondent), Gale Sargent (Video Editor), Raney Aronson Rath (Deputy Executive Producer), David Fanning (Executive Producer), Ellen Weiss (Executive Editor), Philip Bennett (Managing Editor), Mark Rublee (Director of Photography), “Dollars and Dentists,” FRONTLINE, PBS
Recognizing excellence in television and radio reporting on health care issues and policy
Award and Prize:
A $10,000 prize will be presented to the winner at a dinner in Washington, DC on May 21, 2013.
- New insights generated by the reporting
- Impact on health care policy
- Quality of writing and production
- Entries must originally have aired during calendar year 2012
- Entries will be accepted from staff employees of national or local news organizations, nationally-distributed cable programs, or from freelance journalists who have produced reports disseminated by same
- Online stories will be accepted if produced for and disseminated originally on the web in affiliation with a television or radio news organization. Material repurposed from other media will not be accepted.
- Application Process and Rules
- Online Awards Entry System (The entry system is closed for the 2013 awards cycle.)
- In addition to your online entry, you must mail or deliver to NIHCM nine (9) CD or DVD copies of your television or radio piece or series. See Procedures for Mailing Materials.
- Entries must be submitted by February 15, 2013 (Extended to Tuesday, February 19th due to technical difficulties).
Winner is selected by an independent panel of journalists:
- Steve Cheng, former Producer, ABC and NBC News
- Callie Crossley, Television Commentator, WGBH; Radio Commentator, NPR; former Health and Medicine Producer, 20/20, ABC News
- Susan Dentzer, Senior Policy Adviser, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation; former Health Correspondent, NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, PBS
- Stone Phillips, StonePhillipsReports.com; former Dateline NBC Anchor
- Alice Pifer, Adjunct Professor, Columbia University School of Journalism; Freelance Journalist; former Producer, ABC News
- Julie Rovner, Health Policy Correspondent, NPR
- Keith Summa, Vice President of News Partnerships, Univision
- Susan Wagner, Supervising Producer, The Dr. Oz Show