21st Annual NIHCM Foundation Health Care Print Journalism Awards
Congratulations to the finalists:
General Circulation Publications
- Nina Bernstein, “Fighting to Honor a Father's Last Wish,” The New York Times, 9/25/14
- John Fauber, Elbert Chu, Coulter Jones, “Drug Approvals,” Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and MedPage Today, 10/26/14, 12/21/14, 12/22/14
- Ezekiel Emanuel, “Why I Hope to Die at 75,” The Atlantic, October 2014
- Abby Goodnough, Erica Berenstein, Emma Cott, “Remaking Medicine,” The New York Times, 3/2/14, 3/30/14, 8/28/14, 9/16/14, 12/29/14
- Jay Hancock, “Government Action on ACA Loopholes,” Kaiser Health News, also published in The Washington Post, NPR, Daily Beast, 5/7/14, 9/12/14, 9/26/14, 10/16/14, 11/4/14, 11/25/14
- Rob Barry, Christopher S. Stewart, Christopher Weaver, John Carreyrou, Tom McGinty, Anna Wilde Mathews, Janet Adamy, “Medicare Unmasked,” The Wall Street Journal, 6/9/14, 6/19/14, 8/14/14, 9/8/14, 10/22/14, 11/11/14, 12/11/14, 12/26/14
- David Jackson, Gary Marx, Duaa Eldeib, “Harsh Treatment,” Chicago Tribune, 12/2/14, 12/3/14, 12/4/14, 12/5/14, 12/8/14
- Andrea McDaniels, "Collateral Damage,” The Baltimore Sun, 12/14/14, 12/18/14, 12/21/14
- Elisabeth Rosenthal, “Paying Till It Hurts,” The New York Times, 1/18/14, 3/8/14, 4/5/14, 7/2/14, 7/8/14, 9/20/14, 9/28/14, 12/15/14
- Fred Schulte, Erin Durkin, David Donald, Chris Zubak-Skees,“Medicare Advantage Money Grab,” Center for Public Integrity, 6/4/14, 6/4/14, 6/9/14, 6/10/14, 6/10/14, 7/9/14, 8/7/14, 8/19/14, 10/21/14
- Sarah Varney, Margaret Slattery, Diane Weber, “Mississippi Burned,” Politico Magazine, October 2014
- Cheryl Clark, “Sepsis Success,” HealthLeaders, June 2014
- Sarah Gantz, “Maryland's Hospital Regulation Experiment,” Baltimore Business Journal, 2/21/14, 5/30/14, 8/15/14, 10/17/14, 11/28/14
- Bob Herman, “A Changing Landscape for Academic Medicine,” Modern Healthcare, 7/5/14
- Bob Herman, “Disinvesting in Climate Change,” Modern Healthcare, 8/2/14
- Beth Kutscher, “Two Americas,” Modern Healthcare, 8/16/14
- Howard Larkin, “Population Health: Risks and Rewards,” Hospitals & Health Networks, February 2014, May 2014, October 2014, December 2014
- Carol Patton, “Forget Me Not,” Human Resources Executive, 5/7/14
- Tinker Ready, “Bariatric Surgery and the Obesity Battle,” HealthLeaders, 5/26/14
- Antonio Regalado, “Spotting Cancer in a Vial of Blood,” MIT Technology Review, 8/11/14
- Sabriya Rice, “The Ratings Maze,” Modern Healthcare, 5/31/14
Recognizing excellence in health care reporting and writing on the financing and delivery of health care and the impact of health care policy
- Health Care Article or Series from General Circulation Publications
- Health Care Article or Series from Trade Publications
Award and Prize:
A $10,000 prize will be presented to the winner in each category at a dinner in Washington, DC on June 1, 2015.
- New insights generated by the reporting
- Impact on health care policy
- Quality of reporting
- Relevance to one or both of the subject areas (financing and delivery of health care and/or the impact of health care policy)
- Articles must originally have been published during the calendar year 2014.
- Entries will be accepted from all staff reporters and editors, as well as freelance writers for articles that appeared in a general circulation or trade publication.
- Online articles will be accepted if produced and disseminated originally on the web in affiliation with a print publication, trade publication or other investigative reporting outlet.
- Articles should be timely and produce new insights into health care financing and delivery or health care policy.
- Application Process and Rules
- Online Awards Entry System
- Entries must be submitted by February 18, 2015.
- There is no fee to enter.
- Limit of three (3) entries per entrant.
- See Print Journalism Awards Frequently Asked Questions.
Winners are selected by an independent panel of journalists:
- Ceci Connolly, Managing Director, Health Research Institute, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- John Iglehart, Founding Editor, Health Affairs
- Clifton Leaf, Deputy Editor, Fortune
- Alan Murray, Editor, Fortune
- Jeff Nesmith, former Writer, Cox Newspapers
- Fred Schulte, Senior Reporter, Center for Public Integrity