Twentieth Annual NIHCM Foundation Health Care Print Journalism Award
The winners are:
Ellen Gabler, Mark Johnson, John Fauber, Allan James Vestal, Kristyna Wentz-Graff, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, “Deadly Delays” (series): 11/17/13, 11/18/13, 11/19/13, 12/27/13, 12/31/13
Honorable Mention - Dave Philipps (reporter), Michael Ciaglo (photographer), Colorado Springs Gazette, “Other than Honorable” (series): 5/19/13, 5/20/13, 5/21/13, 10/7/13
Joe Carlson, Modern Healthcare, “You Don’t Always Get What You Pay For,” 10/26/13
Congratulations to the finalists:
- Steven Brill, Time, “Bitter Pill,” 3/4/13
- Kai Falkenberg, Forbes, “Why rating your doctor is bad for your health,” 1/21/13
- Amy Goldstein, Juliet Eilperin, The Washington Post, “HealthCare” (series): 11/3/13, 11/17/13, 11/23/13
- Chris Hamby, Brian Ross, Matthew Mosk, Center for Public Integrity, “Breathless and Burdened” (series): 10/29/13, 10/30/13, 11/1/13, 11/5/13, 11/7/13
- Meg Kissinger, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, “Chronic Crisis” (series): 6/2/13, 6/3/13, 6/9/13, 6/20/13, 8/25/13, 10/6/13, 10/9/13, 11/3/13, 12/18/13
- Miles Moffeit, Brooks Egerton, Reese Dunklin, The Dallas Morning News, “Chronic Condition” (series): 2/3/13, 2/4/13, 2/5/13, 2/10/13, 2/17/13
- Philip Reese, Cynthia Hubert, The Sacramento Bee, “Nevada buses hundreds of mentally ill patients across country” (series): 4/7/13, 4/14/13, 5/5/13, 6/23/13, 12/15/13
- Elisabeth Rosenthal, The New York Times, “Paying Till It Hurts” (series): 6/1/13, 6/30/13, 8/3/13, 10/12/13, 12/2/13, 12/21/13
- Peter Whoriskey, Dan Keating, The Washington Post, “Cost of Healing” (series): 7/21/13, 10/28/13, 12/8/2013, 12/27/13, 12/31/13
- Will Bunch, Human Resource Executive, “Centering on Excellence,” 4/4/13
- Stacey Butterfield, ACP Hospitalist, “Too Many or Too Few: Who Belongs in the ICU?” February 2013
- Cheryl Clark, HealthLeaders Magazine, “Acing Acute Care for Elders,” 9/9/13
- Cheryl Clark, HealthLeaders Magazine, “Biting the All Cause Readmissions Bullet,” 5/13/13
- Charlotte Huff, Workforce, “Pulse on Pricing,” 9/11/13
- Steven Ross Johnson, Modern Healthcare, “Sparking Controversy,” 9/23/13
- Roxanne Khamsi, Nature Medicine, “Rethinking the formula,” 5/7/13
- Maureen McKinney, Melanie Evans, Modern Healthcare, “Quality Paradox,” 1/7/13
- Maureen McKinney, Modern Healthcare, “Registry-based clinical trial puts heart treatment to the test,” 11/4/13
- Marty Stempniak, Hospitals & Health Networks, “Retail Clinics,” October 2013
Recognizing excellence in health care reporting and writing on the financing and delivery of health care and the impact of health care policy
- Health Care Article or Series from General Circulation Publications
- Health Care Article or Series from Trade Publications
Award and Prize:
A $10,000 prize will be presented to the winner in each category at a dinner in Washington, DC on June 2, 2014.
- New insights generated by the reporting
- Impact on health care policy
- Quality of reporting
- Relevance to one or both of the subject areas (financing and delivery of health care and/or the impact of health care policy)
- Articles must originally have been published during the calendar year 2013.
- Entries will be accepted from all staff reporters and editors, as well as freelance writers for articles that appeared in a General Circulation or Trade Publication.
- Online articles will be accepted if produced and disseminated originally on the web in affiliation with a General Circulation or Trade Publication.
- Articles should be timely and produce new insights into health care financing and delivery or health care policy.
- Application Process and Rules
- Online Awards Entry System (Closed until fall, 2014)
- Entries must be submitted by February 19, 2014.
Winners are selected by an independent panel of journalists:
- Ceci Connolly, Managing Director, Health Research Institute, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- John Iglehart, Founding Editor, Health Affairs
- Clifton Leaf, Assistant Managing Editor, Fortune
- Alan Murray, President, Pew Research Center
- Jeff Nesmith, former Writer, Cox Newspapers
- Fred Schulte, Senior Reporter, Center for Public Integrity