Nineteenth Annual NIHCM Foundation Health Care Print Journalism Award
The winners are:
Winner, General Circulation
Fred Schulte, Joe Eaton, David Donald, Gordon Witkin, The Center for Public Integrity, “Cracking the Codes” (series): September-October 2012
Honorable Mention, General Circulation
Winner, Trade Publications
Congratulations to the finalists:
- Reed Abelson, Julie Creswell, The New York Times, “HCA” (series): 8/7/12, 8/15/12
- Janet Adamy, Tom McGinty, The Wall Street Journal, “The Crushing Cost of Care,” 7/6/12
- Thomas Catan, Devlin Barrett, Timothy Martin, Evan Perez, Arian Campo-Flores, Alicia Mundy, The Wall Street Journal, “America’s New Addiction” (series): 2012
- Ezekiel J. Emanuel, The New York Times, “Opinionator” (series): 2012
- Ryan Gabrielson, Agustin Armendariz, Carrie Ching, Monica Lam and Lauren Rabaino, California Watch, “Broken Shield” (series): 2/23/12, 2/24/12, 5/18/12, 7/31/12, 9/28/12, 11/29/12, 12/12/12
- Kay Lazar, Matt Carroll, The Boston Globe, “A Rampant Prescription, A Hidden Peril” (series): 4/29/12, 4/30/12, 12/23/12
- Mary Beth Pfeiffer, Poughkeepsie Journal, “No Small Thing” (Lyme disease series): August 18, October 21, November 18, December 23-24 2012.
- Gerard Ryle, Kate Willson, Michael Hudson, Kimberly Porteous, David Donald, Marina Walker Guevara, Vlad Lavrov, Martina Keller, Thomas Maier, Sandra Bartlett, Joe Shapiro, Susanne Reber, Mar Cabra, Alexenia Dimitrova, International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and the Center for Public Integrity, “Skin & Bone: The Shadowy Trade in Human Body Parts” (series): September-December 2012
- Michael Wolff, New York Magazine, “A Life Worth Ending,” 5/20/12
- Gary Baldwin, Health Data Management, “Tight Squeeze,” November 2012
- Paul Barr, Modern Healthcare, “Healthcare in Motion” (series): 5/14/12, 6/18/12, 7/23/12
- John Carroll, Biotechnology Healthcare, “Drug Shortages Ease, but Have We Gotten to the Root of the Problem?” Fall 2012
- Rich Daly, Modern Healthcare, “Sincerest Form of Flattery,” 1/9/12
- Jaimy Lee, Modern Healthcare, “Market Meld,” 5/26/12
- Bryn Nelson, The Hospitalist, “Hospitalists Confront Physician Shortages in Two Fields” (series): August 2012, October 2012
- Rita Pyrillis, Workforce Management, “Health Care—a Real Fixer-Upper,” August 2012.
- Ron Shinkman, Payers & Providers, “The Many Stories Of One Highly Litigious Physician,” 5/31/12
Recognizing excellence in health care reporting and writing on the financing and delivery of health care and the impact of health care policy
- Health Care Article or Series from General Circulation Publications
- Health Care Article or Series from Trade Publications
Award and Prize:
A $10,000 prize will be presented to the winner in each category at a dinner in Washington, DC on May 21, 2013.
- New insights generated by the reporting
- Impact on health care policy
- Quality of reporting
- Relevance to one or both of the subject areas (financing and delivery of health care and/or the impact of health care policy)
- Articles must originally have been published during the calendar year 2012.
- Entries will be accepted from all staff reporters and editors, as well as freelance writers for articles that appeared in a General Circulation or Trade Publication.
- Online articles will be accepted if produced and disseminated originally on the web in affiliation with a General Circulation or Trade Publication.
- Articles should be timely and produce new insights into health care financing and delivery or health care policy.
- Application Process and Rules
- Online Awards Entry System (The entry system is closed for the 2013 awards cycle.)
- Entries must be submitted by February 15, 2013.
Winners are selected by an independent panel of journalists:
- Ceci Connolly, Managing Director, Health Research Institute, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- John Iglehart, Founding Editor, Health Affairs
- Clifton Leaf, Staff Editor, Op-Ed Page/Sunday Review, The New York Times
- Alan Murray, President, Pew Research Center
- Jeff Nesmith, former Writer, Cox Newspapers
- Fred Schulte, Senior Reporter, Center for Public Integrity (recused, for General Circulation category)