NIHCM Foundation Health Care Research and Journalism Award Winners
Research Award Winners1st Annual Health Care Research Award (1994)
- Stephen Shortell, PhD, Denise Rousseau, PhD, Jack Zimmerman, MD, Robin Gillies, PhD, Douglas Wagner, PhD, Elizabeth Draper, RN, William Knaus, MD and Joanne Duffy, RN, "The Performance of Intensive Care Units: Does Good Management Make a Difference?," Medical Care, May 1994; 32(5):508-525.
- Douglas Wholey, PhD, Roger Feldman, PhD and Jon B. Christianson, PhD, "The Effect of Market Structure on HMO Premiums," Journal of Health Economics, 1995; 14:81-105.
- Robert S. McDuffie, Jr., MD, Arne Beck, PhD, Kimberly Bischoff, MSHA, Jean Cross, MHA and Miriam Orleans, PhD, "Effect of Frequency of Prenatal Care Visits on Perinatal Outcome Among Low-Risk Women," JAMA, March 20, 1996; 275(11):847-851.
- General Health Co-Winner:Laurence C. Baker, "The Effect of HMOs on Fee-for-Service Health Care Expenditures: Evidence From Medicare," Journal of Health Economics, 1997; 16:453-481.
- General Health Co-Winner: David Meltzer, "Accounting for Future of Costs in Medical Cost-Effectiveness Analysis,"Journal of Health Economics, 1997; 16:33-64.
- Children and Family Health: David L. Olds, PhD, John Eckenrode, PhD, Charles R. Henderson, Jr., Harriet Kitzman, RN, PhD, Jane Powers, PhD, Robert Cole, PhD, Kimberly Sidora, MPH, Pamela Morris, Lisa M. Pettitt and Dennis Luckey, PhD, "Long-term Effects of Home Visitation on Maternal Life Course and Child Abuse and Neglect," JAMA, August 27,1997; 278(8):637-643.
- General Health:David Dranove, PhD and William White, PhD, "Medicaid-Dependent Hospitals and Their Patients: How Have They Fared?," Health Services Research, June 1998, Part I; 33(2):163-185
- Children and Family Health: Judith R. Lave, PhD, Christopher R. Keane, ScD, MPH, Chyongchiou J. Lin, PhD, Edmund M. Ricci, PhD, Gabriele Amersbach, MA and Charles P. LaVallee, "Impact of a Children's Health Insurance Program on Newly Enrolled Children," JAMA, June 10, 1998; 279(22):1820-1825.
- General Health: Laurence C. Baker and Martin L. Brown, "Managed Care, Consolidation Among Health Care Providers, and Health Care: Evidence from Mammography, RAND Journal of Economics, Summer 1999; 30(2):351-374.
- Children and Family Health: Stephen H. Long, PhD and M. Susan Marquis, PhD, "Geographic Variation in Physician Visits for Uninsured Children: The Role of the Safety Net," JAMA, June 2, 1999; 281(21):2035-2040.
- John E. Kralewski, PhD, Eugene C. Rich, MD, Roger Feldman, PhD, Bryan E. Dowd, PhD, Terence Bernhardt, Christopher Johnson, PhD and William Gold, MD, "The Effects of Medical Group Practice and Physician Payment Methods on Costs of Care," Health Services Research, August 2000; 35(3): 591-613.
- Roland Sturm, PhD, "How Does Risk Sharing Between Employers and a Managed Behavioral Health Organization Affect Mental Health Care?," Health Services Research, October 2000; 35(4):761-776.
- Dana P. Goldman, PhD and James P. Smith, PhD, "Can Patient Self-Management Help Explain the SES Health Gradient?," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, August 6, 2002; 99(16):10929-10934.
- David Dranove, PhD, Daniel P. Kessler, JD, PhD, Mark B. McClellan, MD, PhD and Mark Satterthwaite, PhD, "Is More Information Better? The Effects of 'Report Cards' on Health Care Providers," Journal of Political Economy, 2003; 111(3):555-588.
- Martin Gaynor, PhD, James B. Rebitzer, PhD, and Lowell J. Taylor, "Physician Incentives in Health Maintenance Organizations." Journal of Political Economy, 2004, vol. 112, no. 4.
- Peter J. Cunningham, PhD and Len Nichols, PhD, "The Effects of Medicaid Reimbursement on the Access to Care of Medicaid Enrollees: A Community Perspective," Medical Care Research and Review, 2005 Dec;62(6):676-96.
- M. Kate Bundorf and Mark V. Pauly, "Is Health Insurance Affordable for the Uninsured?" Journal of Health Economics, 25, 2006.
- Co-Winner: Randall P. Ellis and Thomas G. McGuire, “Predictability and Predictiveness in Health Care Spending,” Journal of Health Economics, 2007, 26(1):25-48.
- Co-Winner: Richard G. Frank and Richard J. Zeckhauser, “Custom-Made Versus Ready to Wear Treatments: Behavioral Propensities in Physicians’ Choices,” Journal of Health Economics, 2007, 26(6): 1101-1127.
- Michael Chernew, Mayur Shah, Arnold Wegh, Stephen Rosenberg, Iver Juster, Allison Rosen, Michael Sokol, Kristina Yu-Isenberg, A. Mark Fendrick, "Impact of Decreasing Copayments on Medication Adherence Within a Disease Management Environment." Health Affairs 27(1):103-112.
- Deborah Peikes, Arnold Chen, Jennifer Schore, Randall Brown, "Effects of Care Coordination on Hospitalization, Quality of Care, and Health Care Expenditures Among Medicare Beneficiaries: 15 Randomized Trials," JAMA 301(6): 603-18.
- Mark Duggan, Fiona Scott Morton, "The Effect of Medicare Part D on Pharmaceutical Prices and Utilization," American Economic Review 100(1): 590-607.
- Winner: Jason Abaluck, Jonathan Gruber, “Choice Inconsistencies Among the Elderly: Evidence from Plan Choice in the Medicare Part D Program,” American Economic Review 101(4): 1180–1210.
- Honorable Mention: Niteesh Choudhry, Jerry Avorn, Robert Glynn, Elliott Antman, Sebastian Schneeweiss, Michele Toscano, Lonny Reisman, Joaquim Fernandes, Claire Spettell, Joy Lee, Raisa Levin, Troyen Brennan, William Shrank. “Full Coverage for Preventive Medications after Myocardial Infarction.” New England Journal of Medicine 365 (22): 2088-2097.
- Jonathan D. Ketcham, Claudio Lucarelli, Eugenio J. Miravete, M. Christopher Roebuck. "Sinking, Swimming, or Learning to Swim in Medicare Part D." American Economic Review, October 2012.
Print Journalism Award Winners
First Annual Health Care Journalism Award (1995)
Large Circulation: *Fred Schulte and Jenni Bergal, "Profits from Pain," Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, December 25, 1994, p. 16.
Small Circulation: Amber Smith, "The Bypass Business," Syracuse Herald Journal
Second Annual Health Care Journalism Award (1996)
General Circulation Publications: Cheryl W. Thompson, "Heart Trouble at KU Med," Kansas City Star, May 7, 1995
Health Care Trade Publications: Harris Meyer, "The Quagmire of Medicaid Reform," American Medical News, 1995
Third Annual Health Care Journalism Award (1997)
General Circulation Publications: Boston Globe Spotlight Team, "For Profit Medicine Arrives in Massachusetts," The Boston Globe.
Health Care Trade Publications: Greg Borzo, "Breaking the E-Code," American Medical News.
Fourth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (1998)
General Circulation Publications: *Russell Carollo and Jeff Nesmith, The Dayton Daily News, "Unnecessary Danger," October 5-11, 1997, p. 32-35, 46.
Health Care Trade Publications: Mark Hagland, "When IPA's Fail," California Medicine, September 1997
Fifth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (1999)
General Circulation Publications: *Robert Whitaker and Delores Kong, "Doing Harm: Research on the Mentally Ill," The Boston Globe, November 15-18, 1998
Honorable Mention: Bonnie Harris, Joe Fahy, and Steve Healy, "The Tarnished Years: How The Nursing Home System Fails Our Seniors," The Indianapolis Star and the Indianapolis News, June 21-26, 1998
Health Care Trade Publications: Scott Hensley, "Out for Blood," Modern Health, June 22, 1998
Honorable Mention: Steve Heimoff, "Cash Cows," California Medicine, March 1998
Children and Family Health: Joe Calderone, Kevin Flynn, Jon Naso, Tom Robbins, and Raphael Sugarman, "Asthma: The Silent Epidemic," The Daily News, February 22, 23, 24, 25, and March 1, 1998 (Series).
Sixth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2000)
General Circulation Publications: Larry Tye, "Patients at Risk," The Boston Globe.
Health Care Trade Publications: Joanne Todd, "The Trouble with Mergers," Healthcare Business Media, September-October 1999, pp. 92-101.
Children and Family Health: Sara Selis, "The Troubled Teen Business," Healthcare Business Media, March-April 1999, pp. 34-38, 55
Seventh Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2001)
General Circulation Publications: Melinda Roth, "State of Pain," The River Front Times, February 9, 2000.
Honorable Mention: W. Matt Meyer, Tonya Smith-King, and Wendy Wilson, "What's Killing Us?" The Jackson Sun, September 2000, and
Malia Rulon,"Unhealthy Cuts," Associated Press, February 15, 2000.
Health Care Trade Publications: Jessica Portner, "Teen Suicide: The Silent Epidemic," Education Week, April 12, 2000 (Part I)
Honorable Mention: Emil Vernarec, "Depression in the Workforce: Seeing the Cost in a Fuller Light," Business Health, April 2000 and June 2000 (Series)
Eighth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2002)
General Circulation Publications: Ken Fosket and Ann Hardie, "Dying in Darkness," Atlanta Journal-Constitution, December 2-3, 2001.
Honorable Mention: Diane Solov and Regina McEnery, "Will Your ER Be There for You?" The Plain Dealer, April 1-2, 2001, and
Steve Twedt, "It's a Crime," The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 15-18, 2001 (4-part series)
Health Care Trade Publications: David Ollier Weber, "Getting the Jump on Leapfrog," COR Healthcare Market Strategist, Volume 2, Number 12, December 2001
Ninth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2003)
General Circulation Publications: Michael J. Berens and Bruce Japsen, "Unhealthy Hospitals," Chicago Tribune, July 21-23, 2002 (3-part series).
Honorable Mention: Leslie Boyd, "Ethan's Story," Asheville Citizen-Times, December 29, 2002 p. A18
Health Care Trade Publications: Cinda Becker, "Stuck in the Middle," Modern Healthcare, October 21, 2002, pp. 4, 5, 14.
Tenth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2004)
General Circulation Publications: *Geeta Anand, Elena Cherney, Peter Landers, Laura Landro, Laurie McGinley, Antonio Regalado and Bernard Wysocki, Jr., "Who Gets Health Care?," The Wall Street Journal
Honorable Mention: *Thomas M. Burton and Kevin Helliker, "The Menace of Aortic Aneurysms," The Wall Street Journal and Steve Twedt "The Cost of Courage," Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Health Care Trade Publications: Steve Ellman, "Code of Silence," Daily Business Review
Honorable Mention: Mary Chris Jaklevic, "It's More Than Just Tenet," Modern Healthcare
Eleventh Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2005)
General Circulation Publications: Clifton Leaf, "Why We're Losing the War on Cancer (And How to Win It)," FORTUNE Magazine, March 22, 2004
Honorable Mention: *Diana K. Sugg, "If I Die," (series) The Baltimore Sun, Dec. 19-22, 2004.
Health Care Trade Publications: Katherine Barrett, Richard Greene, and Michele Mariani, "A Case of Neglect," Governing Magazine Special Issue, February 2004.
Twelfth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2006)
General Circulation Publications: Geeta Anand, "The Most Expensive Drugs," (series) The Wall Street Journal, November 15, November 16, December 1, December 28 2005.
Honorable Mention: Gilbert Gaul, "Chronic Condition: The Waste in Medicare Spending," (series) The Washington Post, July 24 - 26, 2005.
Health Care Trade Publications: Laura Benko, "Chronic Questions," Modern Healthcare, August 8, 2005.
Thirteenth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2007)
General Circulation Publications: Jane Hansen, "Through Hell and High Water," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, May 2006.
Health Care Trade Publications: Robert Lowes, "Crisis in Health Care: Does Vick Wood Have the Answer?" Medical Economics, December 16, 2006.
Fourteenth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2008)
General Circulation: Chris Adams, McClatchy Newspapers, “VA Mental Health Crisis,” February 5, March 27, May 10, September 16 , November 28, and December 20, 2007 (series).
Trade Publications: Jeremy Smerd, Workforce Management Magazine, for a pair of stories: “Backfire at Boeing,” February 26, 2007 and "Doctor's Error, Your Expense,” June 11, 2007.
Fifteenth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2009)
General Circulation: John Carreyrou, Barbara Martinez and Geeta Anand, The Wall Street Journal, Nonprofit Hospitals (series): 4/4/08, 4/28/08, 6/28-29/08, 8/28/08, 8/30-31/08, 10/14/08, 11/21/08, 12/12/08, supporting articles: 12/18/08, 2/13/09, 2/18/09
Trade Publication: Shelley Wood, theHeart.org (by WebMD), The Myxo Ring Mix-Up (series)
Sixteenth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2010)
General Circulation: Atul Gawande, The New Yorker, “The Cost Conundrum," June 1, 2009.
Runner-up, General Circulation: John Fauber, Susanne Rust, Meg Kissinger, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, “Side Effects” (series): 1/11/09, 1/12/09, 1/25/09, 2/27/09, 4/28/09, 6/21/09, 8/9/09, 8/16/09, 11/8/09, 12/24/09.
Trade Publication: Joe Carlson, Modern Healthcare, “Trauma to the System," November 30, 2009.
Honorable Mention: Nancy Watzman, Bill Allison, Sarah Dorsey, Luke Rosiak, Noah Kunin, Kerry Mitchell, Anu Narayanswamy, Sunlight Foundation, “The Heart of the Matter: How Congress and Special Interests Kept Crucial Clinical Trial Data Secret.”
Seventeenth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2011) (Finalists)
General Circulation: *Marshall Allen, Alex Richards, Las Vegas Sun staff, Las Vegas Sun, "Do No Harm: Hospital Care in Las Vegas" (series): 6/27/10, 8/8/10, 9/19/10, 11/14/10, 12/26/10.
Trade Publication: Joe Carlson, Modern Healthcare, "Bad for business," August 2, 2010.
Eighteenth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2012) (Finalists)
General Circulation: *Michael J. Berens, Ken Armstrong, The Seattle Times, "Methadone and the Politics of Pain" (series): December 11-13, 2011.
Winner, Trade Publication: Carol Patton, Human Resource Executive, "Coupon Overdose," June 2, 2011.
Honorable Mention, Trade Publication: Bill Coffin, National Underwriter Life & Health, "Tragic Tale," November 7, 2011.
Nineteenth Annual Health Care Journalism Award (2013) (Finalists)
Winner, General Circulation: Fred Schulte, Joe Eaton, David Donald, Gordon Witkin, The Center for Public Integrity, “Cracking the Codes” (series): September-October 2012.
Honorable Mention, General Circulation: Geeta Anand, Betsy McKay, Gautam Naik, The Wall Street Journal, “TB: A Menace Returns” (series): 1/19/12, 6/20/12, 9/8/12, 11/23/12 (1), 11/23/12 (2), 11/26/12, 12/19/12,12/26/12, 12/31/12
* Pulitzer Prize winner or nominee
Television and Radio Journalism Award Winners
1st Annual Television and Radio Journalism Award (2008)
- Bob Woodruff (reporter), Keith Summa & Gabrielle Tenenbaum (Producers), Tom Yellin (Executive Producer), Kayce Freed Jennings (Senior Producer), “To Iraq and Back: Bob Woodruff Reports,” The Documentary Group/ABC News.*
2nd Annual Television and Radio Journalism Award (2009)
- “UNNATURAL CAUSES: Is Inequality Making Us Sick?”, Larry Adelman (Executive Producer), Llewellyn Smith (Co-Executive Producer), Christine Herbes-Sommers (Senior Producer), California Newsreel with Vital Pictures.
3rd Annual Television and Radio Journalism Award (2010)
- Anne Gudenkauf (Editor), Gisele Grayson (Producer), Alix Spiegel (Reporter), Jane Greenhalgh (Research Assistant), “How Bone Disease Grew to Fit the Prescription,” NPR.
4th Annual Television and Radio Journalism Award (2011) (Finalists)
- Jon Palfreman (Producer/Writer/Director), Kate McMahon (Co-producer), Mark Rublee (Director of Photography), Raoul Rosenberg (Editor), “FRONTLINE: The Vaccine War,” FRONTLINE, PBS.
5th Annual Television and Radio Journalism Award (2012) (Finalists)
- Catherine Sager (Producer/Director), John E. Maher (Director of Photography), Brian Leonard (Senior Producer), Jeremy Cole (Production Manager), Karen Silverstein (Editor), "Autism: Coming of Age," produced by Veritech Corporation, sponsored by MassMutual, distributed by American Public Television.
6th Annual Television and Radio Journalism Award (2013) (Finalists)
- Jeff Fager (Executive Producer); Bill Owens (Executive Editor); Sam Hornblower, Michael Rey & Oriana Zill de Granados (Producers); Robert Zimet (Editor); Steve Kroft (Correspondent); “Cost of Admission,” 60 Minutes, CBS
* Peabody Award winner